The Dinghy Division of the Sailing Section of Hillarys Yacht Club offers enjoyable family and competitive sailing for all ages and experience levels, plus training and coaching, on the clear, clean water off Hillarys.
We sail types of dinghy's that suit juniors, teenagers and adults. Generally the minimum age is 9 years old but it is dependent on swimming ability
Dinghy racing is generally held on Saturday mornings during the summer sailing season which extends from October to April, and the winter racing from June to August. Races range from Club races through to special regattas.
Parents whose children sail are encouraged to participate either by sailing with their children, or in another dinghy, or helping out on a support boat during racing or training.
For those just starting out, dinghy training courses are available during the school holidays and on weekends. These classes are small with qualified sailing instructors. The Club has a number of each type of dinghy available for training and racing.
The dinghy classes at Hillarys Yacht Club are either single or two handed, consisting of some of the world's most popular classes including Optimist, Tasar and Laser.
Optimists - single handed for ages 8-14 yrs
Tasars - two handed for all ages
Lasers - single handed for 15 yr old – adults
Contenders - single handed for teenagers – adults
National 125 - two handed for all ages
- Summer sailing season - October to April
Opening of sailing season and race is Sunday 8 October, 2017.
First race day is Saturday 15 October. Briefing will be held at the Junior Clubhouse at 8.45 am. Races to start at 9.45 am. Then weekly on Saturdays, except for special events and a Christmas break, as scheduled in the Dinghy Calendar 2017-2018 of the Dinghy Sailing Handbook 2017-18 which is available under DOWNLOADS at the bottom of this page.
- Australia Day Race - Friday 26 January 2018
Join us for a friendly morning of racing followed by lunch and drinks in the Wet Bar. Click here to view the information.
Dinghies will commence racing at 10.15am
- SAIL EASTER COACHING REGATTA: March 30 - April 1 2018
Experience our biggest and best blue water dinghy coaching regatta next Easter at Perth’s #1 ocean marina. Great Club food and beverage facilities and Sorrento Quay shops, cafes, restaurants are just a quick walk away. Top it all off with safe marina and ocean swimming beaches for all the family. Loads of off-street parking and secure overnight dinghy storage too!
|Combined Storage and Racing (Winter-Summer)||$253*|
|Racing Only Fees:|
|Combined Winter & Summer||Single Handed||$150|
|Winter Series||Single Handed||$40|
|Double Handed||$48 per boat|
|Double Handed||$132 per boat|
|Per Race Day||Single Handed||$20|
|Double Handed||$25 per boat|
*Requires 50% participation in dinghy activities each year, otherwise cost is $506
- Results Winter Series 2017
- Results Summer Series 2016-17 Championship
- Results Summer Series 2016-17 Consistency
- Final Results: Winter Series 2016
- Pot of Gold - 27 February 2016
- Results Summer Series 2015-16 Consistency
- Results Summer Series 2015-16 Championship
- Results Winter Series 2015 Championship
- Optimist Ranking Regatta Gold - 15 November 2014
- Optimist Ranking Regatta Silver - 15 November 2014
Training Manager Chris Kelly: 9246 2833
Dinghy Captain Greg Jennings: 0409 203 686
- View the latest 'Dinghy Talk' newsletter
- Dinghy Sailing Handbook 2017-18
- Results Summer Series 2014-2015 Championship
- Results Summer Series 2014-2015 Consistency
- Risk Analysis